SB 247, carried by Sen. Mike Phillips (D-Bozeman) will do three things. The bill only applies to NorthWestern Energy.
1. Raise the cap on net metered systems from 50 kW to 100 kW.
2. Allow customer generators to roll over any excess net meter credits, rather than forfeiting extra kilowatt hours to NorthWestern Energy at the end of the year.
3. Allow a customer generator to apply excess credits to separate meters on the same or adjacent property.
WHY WE NEED THIS BILL
*38 states have net metering caps of 100 kW or higher–Montana is getting left behind. Installers are bumping up against this arbitrary 50 kW cap with both wind and solar systems.
*Allowing indefinite rollover of credits means customer generators won’t have to giveaway excess kilowatt hours to the utility at the end of a 12 month billing period.
*This bill will give the 50+ small scale renewable energy businesses in the state the opportunity to continue growing and innovating.
*This is an chance to provide more good jobs for Montanans and more clean energy options for consumers.
*The data is in: net metering provides a net benefit to utility customers.
1. Write a letter to the editor. You can submit a letter at the following websites: Helena IRBillings Gazette Great Falls Tribune Missoulian Flathead Beacon Daily Inter Lake
3. Leave a message for Senate Energy Committee members by calling 444-4800. Send a message to committee members using this online form, or email them directly. Ask them to please support clean energy jobs by voting YES on SB 247.Senate Energy committee members